Watch this video (6 mins), head up a paper, and answer the questions below on your paper.
Purpose: To investigate the properties of waves and superposition of waves.
1. Sketch two waves coming from opposite ends of a spring showing what happens when they meet crest on crest.
2. What is this principle called?
3. Sketch and tell what happens when a crest meets a trough.
4. What is this kind of wave called?
5. What happens when two waves of the same frequency traveling in opposite directions meet having the same wavelength but different amplitudes?
6. What happens when two waves of the same frequency traveling in opposite directions meet having the same amplitude but different wavelengths?
7. How does a wave react when it meets a fixed end?
8. How does a resonant soap bubble act at different harmonics?
9. Diagram the nodes and antinodes of a standing wave.
10. How do we explain the structure of electrons about the nucleus of an atom with standing waves?