Name _______________________________________ Per. ______
Purpose: To investigate electromagnetism in a coil.
1. Connect a coil to a 6v battery. Disconnect it when not taking measurements!
2. Map and sketch the magnetic field with a compass.
3. Use the Left Hand Rule to find the:
..... a. current direction.
..... b. (+) and (-) poles of the coil.
..... c. the (+) and (-) poles on the battery.
4. Insert iron cores of both sizes and repeat 1,2,3 above.
5. Compare the above results with and without the iron cores.
6. Use a paper and iron filings to map the magnetic field around and through the coil.
7. Insert an iron core and use this electromagnet to pick up the iron filings in a beaker. Oooooh.
8. The Grand Critique of the above observations.